Saturday, April 21, 2012

Assisi Diary - Day 29 - Rain vs. Gelato

Today, after mass at the Basilica of Saint Francis, I had an opportunity to study the Sepulchral Monument of John of Brienne, King of Jerusalem and Emperor of Constantinople, still later in life a Third Order Franciscan, a friend of Francis and, from the little I’ve read, one of History’s more interesting characters.  But his is another story.  Afterwards I walked down through Assisi’s cemetery, very beautifully decorated with flowers, then around and up to the higher end of town.
After having some lunch, I finished reading Dicken’s Hard Times, an excellent book (although Bleak House is still a favorite).  Then, it was decision time.  For days I had been putting off having some gelato, waiting for the perfect combination of a quiet, carefree, warm and sunny afternoon.  This afternoon was quiet, and relatively carefree and, while clouds darkened the sky to the south, the west, the north and the east, directly overhead the sun was shining brightly.  Bundling up against a chilly wind, one could even feign warmth in the sun’s path.  The opportunity was too good to pass up.  I grabbed an umbrella (as not having one would be courting disaster), and set out.
The preferred gelato place being about a ten or fifteen minute walk, I strolled through the Piazza del Comune and up a narrow main road between high buildings.  Drawing close to my destination, I came to a spot where the views open up far towards Perugia, and it was in that direction there appeared heavy black clouds.  But now the die was cast.  The gelato store owner recognized and greeted me with a cheerful “Ciao” and I proceeded to study the various flavors available containing large, small or, for that matter, any portions of chocolate.  In the end, I went with a cup half chocolate and half a flavor called “kiss”, that is basically chocolate with a few other good things thrown in.  The owner made comment on my inclinations toward chocolate and served up a good portion.
Stepping out onto the street, I decided to take my treat over to the wall above the Church of San Stefano, a short ways away, and one of the prettiest places to sit in Assisi.  The wall and the gelato, a happy combination.
Looking up, far across the valley rain was falling heavily.  Looking up again shortly thereafter, the rain was falling heavily less far across the valley.  Further observation was unnecessary.  Gelato in hand, it was back through town at a brisk pace, somewhat diminishing the leisurely component of the gelato experience, although chocolate is good at any speed.  Through the piazza, up the street and into the house, dry.  Although a close call; before I was up to my room, rain was pelting off the windows. 
Not the perfect gelato experience, but a sweet, successful endeavor nonetheless, escaping both the rain and a fate of having to ponder a gelato that might have been.   
Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment