Thursday, April 11, 2013

A Walk in Mount Subasio Park - Part 2 of 3

From Satriano I continued eastward on a trail that became more rugged and more muddy. Just as I retrieved some bread from my day pack for a snack, the path passed immediately beside a pig farm, more specifically the actual pigsties. A photo opportunity missed, the first of several. Further along, I noticed movement along the other side of a fence, and caught a glimpse of a couple of wild boar who ran off quickly. There are plenty of wild boar in this part of Italy, but they are not often seen. However, this day turned out to be an exception.
The trail became muddier, even swampy, with large pools of water and thick, thorny brush along the sides. Just when continuing on became an uncertainty, conditions improved enough to descend down to a country road. The section ahead was well into the eastern part of the park. Soon, high up on a hill, the Rocca di Postignano came into view.
This was a Tenth Century fortress, once dominating the valley beyond, now in ruins. A dirt road wound up the hill, leading to some good views and interesting remains of stone structures.
This was the high point of the fortress; didn't see any entry points. Perhaps that's what was intended.
Looking down on what remains of some of the surrounding structures.
An interesting wall, after many centuries.
After exploring the Rocca and enjoying the views, I started down the fortress road toward the country road to continue on. Just after putting my camera away, I looked up to see, perhaps 40 yards ahead, a couple more wild boar, who noticed me at the same time. They darted off into the woods, but this time were followed by a racing mass of younger boar, medium and small in size. There appeared to be about twenty altogether. I didn't know what to make of it, and only later learned what I had seen was a "sounder". A sounder consists of a small number of sows, led by the eldest, caring for their young in a group. Also learned that when sows are cornered or feel their offspring are threatened, they will attack vigorously, using their teeth as weapons. So, the bad news is no pictures, the good news is no scars from the encounter.
Back on the road I continued in the direction of the town of Postignano. It was in view, and I started down a steep trail toward it.
There was a logging operation underway, and further down the trail was entirely blocked with stacks of logs. Trying to circumvent them by going through the brush was not much of an option, not knowing what additional obstacles might lay ahead in the forest. So, I scrambled back up to the road and began again in an eastward direction, only to find that while the trail had been short and steep, the road to Postignano was very long and winding.
Given the hour, the dark clouds and that this was near the border of Mount Subasio Park, along with a new notion of finding an alternative return route bypassing the muddiest section of trail, I decided to start back in the direction of Assisi. Soon I went past the turnoff for the muddy trail, observing ahead a caution sign for a species of animal even larger than the wild boar.
Undaunted, I continued on, now on a winding road certain to be longer but less hazardous than the trail.
Then I was brought to a halt by sight of a man walking in my direction with three loose dogs. The dogs stopped too, looking in my direction. This was the middle of nowhere, no houses nearby, very much out in the country. The dogs were small, and the largest appeared rather young. The man spoke to them and they started up again. Two seemed interested in just getting past me, while the third, the young one, stopped close by as if very interested in something. The man, walking spryly, appeared in his late 60's or 70. He crossed the road and we engaged in a conversation, managing well enough with my limited Italian and his few words of English. The young dog simply wanted to smell my shoes, which was fine, and he did. A very polite dog to wait for permission. The fellow was interested in my walk and we had a good exchange. In the course of our discussion he shared his actual age, ottantotto (88) years. Wherever his stroll began or ended, this was not someone just taking his dogs around the neighborhood block. Something to be said for vigorous exercise.
Always one to miss a good photo op, I turned around late to just catch a fading picture.
After a long stretch of walking, mostly uphill, Mount Subasio came back in sight in the distance.
Still a long ways to go, and a trail to pick up again.
To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment